a little sad/pointless though if the software is free for the single node edition ...
Chief Data Scientist
- Partner directly with APJ regional leadership and regional field, Greenplum Data Science leadership, and customers/prospects to establish a robust vision for the build-out of APJ's Data Science team.
- While managing existing team members, lead the recruiting and onboarding of a larger APJ regional Data Science team that addresses vertical and analytical knowledge requirements.
- Drive evangelization and education of Data Science services to Greenplum's APJ sales force, in particular educating the field on how to communicate the vision and value of advanced analytics, how to qualify interested prospects, and how to propose Data Science services.
- While working with customers and prospects, leverage significant experience directly working with data to define analytics use-cases that address customer requirements for value generation, and partner with Data Scientists to execute on these.
- Advise customers and prospects on technology and tool selection to best meet their emerging analytics requirements and to best drive value-generation on existing and future data.
- Lead relationship development and technology evaluation for new prospective regional analytics-centric partnerships.
- Work directly with customers to educate them on Greenplum's technologies, analytical use-cases, pros/cons of emerging tools, etc.
- Assist in customer engagement management, requirements definition, project scoping, timeline management, and results documentation to ensure professional relationship management with regional customers.
- Travel, as needed, to meet with customers (roughly 40-50%).
Desired Skills & Experience
- 5-10 years of experience and a proven passion for generating insights from data, with a strong familiarity with the higher-level trends in data growth, open-source platforms, and public data sets.
- A proven track record of building the function of data science, analytics as a service, or teams of data miners / machine-learning practitioners
- 5 to 10 years of experience in managing small to mid-sized teams, preferably in the services functions.
- Significant experience evangelizing the value of data analytics to broad audiences.
- At least 3 years of work in a related role within the APJ region, showing strong understanding of country-level industry players, vertical market trends, and status of data utilization.
- Strong knowledge of statistical methods generally, and particularly in the areas of modeling and business analytics
- Experience working with a variety of statistical languages and packages, including R, S-Plus, SAS and Matlab, and/or Mahout
- Experience working with relational databases and/or distributed computing platforms, and their query interfaces, such as SQL, MapReduce, PIG, and Hive.
- Preferably, experience working hands-on with large-scale data sets
- Familiarity with additional programming languages, including Python, Java, and C/C++.
- Experience leveraging visualization software and techniques (including Tableau), and business intelligence (BI) software, such as Microstrategy, Cognos, Pentaho, etc.
- Technical knowledge of distributed computing platforms, and common data process flows from data instrumentation & generation, to ETL, to the data warehouse itself.
- Advanced degree (PhD or Masters) in an analytical or technical field (e.g. applied mathematics, statistics, physics, computer science, operations research)
- A strong business-orientation, able to select the appropriate complex quantitative methodologies in response to specific business goals
- A team player, who is excited by and motivated by hard technical challenges
- Results-driven, self-motivated, self-starter
- Excellent written, verbal, and presentation skills in at least 1 key language relevant for APJ in addition to English
- Ability to travel as-needed to meet with customers, throughout the region.
Greenplum is setting the pace in the Big Data Analytics space. We are growing rapidly and providing solutions to major companies in the industry.
EMC provides the technologies and tools that can help you release the power of your information. We can help you design, build, and manage flexible, scalable, and secure information infrastructures. And with these infrastructures, you'll be able to intelligently and efficiently store, protect, and manage your information so that it can be made accessible, searchable, shareable, and, ultimately, actionable. We believe that information is a business's most important asset. Ideas—and the people who come up with them—are the only real differentiator. Our promise is to help you take that differentiator as far as possible. We will deliver on this promise by helping organizations of all sizes manage more information more effectively than ever before. We will provide solutions that meet and exceed your most demanding business and IT challenges. We will bring your information to life. DISCUSS all things EMC, right here on LinkedIn! http://emc.im/DiscussOnLinkedIn This page maintained by @kemipa