SOLiD™ Sequencing - single cancer cell
Next Generation Sequencing, (NGS) technology has allowed scientific researchers to exponentially reduce both the cost of sequencing and the amount of sample / nucleic acids being interrogated. This technological revolution has allowed researchers to propose and execute experiments at the single cell level that could not be attempted before. Along this journey researchers have gained insights into cell regulation and repair mechanisms, along with cellular responses when processes are disrupted.
Although scientists have successfully sequenced the entire transcriptome of a single murine cell using the SOLiD™ System, as documented in the May 7, 2010 issue of Cell Stem Cell, they have yet to sequence the entire genome of one cell. The SOLiD Single Human Cancer Cell Grand Challenge is asking researchers to do just that – sequence the genome and all RNA content derived from a single cancer cell using the 5500 Series SOLiD™ Sequencers.
Successful achievement of this latest Grand Challenge will, therefore, double what is currently possible by sequencing both the entire genome and all RNA, including mRNA, microRNAs and other types of RNA molecules expressed in a single cancer cell, using the SOLiD System. Results must be validated using alternative techniques, such as capillary electrophoresis sequencing and quantitative PCR.
The output of the SOLiD Single Human Cancer Cell Grand Challenge should be a detailed protocol that accomplishes the following:
- Isolates a single cell from a human solid or liquid tumor (i.e. not cell culture)
- Extracts genomic DNA and total RNA from that single cancer cell
- Sequences the genomic DNA in a single run using either the 5500 Series SOLiD™ System or the SOLiD™ 4 System
- Analyzes the genomic DNA data using LifeScope™ Genetic Analysis Software in conjunction with other analysis & visualization software
- Sequences the total RNA in a single run using either the 5500 Series SOLiD™ System or the SOLiD™ 4 System
- Analyzes the total RNA data using LifeScope™ Genetic Analysis Software in conjunction with other analysis & visualization software
Cancer accounts for nearly one out of every four deaths in the U.S., as reported by the American Cancer Society. Variation in DNA and RNA sequence between tumor cells can dramatically affect how individual cells respond to therapies. Life Technologies is proud to be at the forefront of the genomics revolution, and is pleased to support scientific progress in cancer research via the SOLiD Single Human Cancer Cell Grand Challenge.