Tuesday 2 April 2013

TIL 'with open' in Python

I have always delayed learning about writing better code and what you don't know you often won't put into practice but when I do come across tips and optimizations, I use them heavily.
I am slightly embarrassed to say  that today I learnt about 'with open' for reading files in python from Zen of Python.


Read From a File

Use the with open syntax to read from files. This will automatically close files for you.
Bad:
f = open('file.txt')
a = f.read()
print a
f.close()
Good:
with open('file.txt') as f:
    for line in f:
        print line
The with statement is better because it will ensure you always close the file, even if an exception is raised.

There's some good reading on styles and preferred 'Pythonic' ways of coding if you follow the code style guide in The Hitchhiker's Guide to Python
One other good source is the plethora of online courses available now on Coursera or other sites e.g.

Learn to Program: Crafting Quality Code 
by Jennifer Campbell, Paul Gries




No comments:

Post a Comment

Datanami, Woe be me